16th October 2019
WORLD HEPTATHLON CHAMPION JOHNSON-THOMPSON CONFIRMS TRIPLE-HEADER OF 2020 UK APPEARANCES
- Following historic world heptathlon gold, Katarina Johnson-Thompson confirmed to appear at three world-class UK events in 2020
- KJT will kick off her year at the Müller Indoor Grand Prix in Glasgow, with appearances at the Muller Anniversary Games and Muller Grand Prix Gateshead coming in the summer
Fresh from winning the world heptathlon gold in stunning fashion earlier this month, Katarina Johnson-Thompson (club: Liverpool Harriers, coach: Bertrand Valcin) has today confirmed that she will compete at three world-class events in the UK next year: the Müller Indoor Grand Prix Glasgow (15 February), the Müller Anniversary Games (London, 4 & 5 July) and the Müller Grand Prix Gateshead (16 Aug).
Prior to the world championships, Johnson-Thompson spoke about how she had enjoyed her ‘best run-in ever in terms of preparation’, and this was well and truly backed up as she clinched global gold with 6981 points, a British record and the 9th best heptathlon score in history.
With all eyes turning to Tokyo and the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games, KJT will kick-start her year in Glasgow at the Müller Indoor Grand Prix Glasgow, the best one-day indoor meeting in the world, when the Emirates Arena plays host to the event on February 15.
Come the summer, the Liverpudlian heads to London to compete at the Müller Anniversary Games for what will be something of a final tune-up before the Olympic Games, with an appearance at the Müller Grand Prix Gateshead coming on the back of what UK fans will hope is a medal-winning performance out in Tokyo.
On competing in the UK three times as part of a bumper 2020, Katarina Johnson-Thompson said:
“It’s amazing to know I’ve got three great events and some real testing competition in the diary for 2020. I’m really looking forward to performing in front of British crowds, with the Müller Indoor Grand Prix Glasgow and Müller Anniversary Games being vital preparation for the Olympics.”
“The support I received from back home both during and after my competition in Doha was crazy. It really shows how lucky I am to compete for Britain and that the British fans really are the best in the world. It’s going to be amazing to compete on home soil on three occasions in 2020, with these fans cheering us all on.”
The full lists of events, venues and dates for British Athletics’ 2020 events are as follows:
- Müller Indoor Grand Prix Glasgow: Emirates Arena, Glasgow – Saturday 15 February
- SPAR British Athletics Indoor Championships: Emirates Arena, Glasgow – Sat 22 & Sun 23 February
- Müller British Athletics Championships: Sportcity, Manchester – Saturday 20 & Sunday 21 June
- Müller Anniversary Games: London Stadium, London – Saturday 4 & Sunday 5 July
- Müller Grand Prix Gateshead – Gateshead International Stadium, Gateshead – Sunday 16 August