The British Athletics Performance Pathway aims to provide opportunities to prepare, confirm and support the most promising young athletes on a journey to becoming future Olympic and Paralympic medallists in 2020 and beyond. British Athletics aims to work in partnership with home country programmes to ensure that talented athletes and coaches across the UK have the opportunity to maximise their potential and achieve their personal best.
The aim is to create both personal and on the ‘track/field’ readiness for athletes, preparing them for the final stage in the performance pathway which is the British Athletics World Class Programme (WCP). The objective of the pathway programmes are to support and add value to an athlete’s current plan with their personal coach, not to replace it. While regular, quality coaching is a key ingredient to progress, the programmes will look to ensure all athletes develop the necessary key areas for their event relating to lifestyle, preparation, performance, physical, mental, tactical and technical aspects.
Opportunities within the Pathway programmes include;
- International competitions such as World, European & Commonwealth age group championships and minor internationals.
- Organised training days and camps with education programme which ensures athletes & coaches are provided with the knowledge and tools to realise their potential.
- Access to performance support services.
- Access to performance training environments.
- Objective measures of technical and physical abilities to provide insight and interventions to enable development.
- Financial support to help with their individual athlete plan and coach development.
- Support with applications for financial backing from external bodies.
- Coach development and mentorship.